Walking holidays with dogs offer a unique opportunity to explore picturesque landscapes, breathe in fresh air, and create unforgettable memories with your furry friend. From leisurely strolls to challenging hikes, there are numerous dog-friendly trails across the globe that cater to every level of fitness and adventure. In this article, we will take you on a virtual tour of the top 10 walking holidays with dogs, highlighting locations worldwide that offer diverse terrains, breathtaking views, and a warm welcome for your four-legged companion.
- Lake District, England: The Lake District, located in northwest England, is a paradise for nature lovers and dog owners alike. With its rolling hills, tranquil lakes, and charming villages, it offers a variety of dog-friendly trails suitable for all fitness levels. One notable walk is the Catbells Fell, a moderate hike that rewards you with panoramic views of Derwentwater and surrounding peaks.
- Wicklow Mountains, Ireland: Venture to the Wicklow Mountains, just south of Dublin, for an enchanting walking holiday with your dog. The Sally Gap loop, a 10-kilometer trail, is perfect for exploring the region’s rugged beauty. Take in the stunning vistas, lush valleys, and sparkling lakes while enjoying the company of your loyal companion.
- Cinque Terre, Italy: Italy’s Cinque Terre is a picturesque coastal region dotted with charming villages and breathtaking cliffs. While dogs are not allowed on the main coastal trail, the Sentiero Azzurro, there are several alternative trails nearby that welcome dogs. The Riomaggiore to Porto Venere path offers a moderate challenge and rewards you with stunning sea views.
- Scottish Highlands, Scotland: For those seeking an unforgettable walking holiday with their dogs, the Scottish Highlands should be high on the list. The Old Man of Storr, a 3.8-kilometer loop on the Isle of Skye, showcases the dramatic beauty of the region. As you hike through rocky terrain and lush greenery, your faithful companion will revel in the vast open spaces.
- Bernese Oberland, Switzerland: The Bernese Oberland region in Switzerland offers a fantastic combination of alpine beauty and dog-friendly trails. The Eiger Trail, a 6.2-kilometer path, takes you through magnificent landscapes with breathtaking views of the Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau peaks. Your furry friend will relish the fresh mountain air and the occasional encounter with Swiss cows.
- Cape Town, South Africa: Cape Town is a vibrant city surrounded by stunning natural landscapes, making it an ideal destination for a walking holiday with your dog. The Pipe Track, a relatively easy 6-kilometer trail along the slopes of Table Mountain, offers panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean and the Twelve Apostles. Don’t forget to pack a leash and plenty of water for both you and your canine companion.
- Blue Mountains, Australia: Escape to the Blue Mountains, located just a short drive from Sydney, for a dog-friendly walking holiday amidst breathtaking vistas. The National Pass Trail, a moderate 4.5-kilometer track, takes you through lush rainforests, past cascading waterfalls, and offers panoramic views of the Jamison Valley. Ensure you and your dog are well-prepared for changing weather conditions and rugged terrain.
- Torres del Paine National Park, Chile: Embark on an awe-inspiring adventure with your dog in Torres del Paine National Park, renowned for its rugged beauty in the heart of Patagonia. The Mirador Las Torres hike is a challenging but rewarding 18-kilometer trail that culminates in stunning views of the iconic granite spires. Keep in mind that dogs must be kept on a leash to protect the park’s fragile ecosystem.
- Banff National Park, Canada: Canada’s Banff National Park offers an abundance of dog-friendly trails amidst its majestic mountain landscapes. The Tunnel Mountain Trail, a relatively easy 4.3-kilometer loop, allows you to immerse yourself in the beauty of the Canadian Rockies. Keep an eye out for local wildlife, including elk, deer, and even bears, and ensure your furry friend is leashed at all times.
- Tongariro National Park, New Zealand: Experience the otherworldly beauty of Tongariro National Park on the North Island of New Zealand. The Tongariro Alpine Crossing, a challenging 19.4-kilometer trek, treats you and your dog to volcanic landscapes, turquoise lakes, and breathtaking views of Mount Ngauruhoe. It is important to note that dogs must be kept on a leash, and be prepared for unpredictable weather conditions.
Embarking on a walking holiday with your dog is a rewarding experience that allows you to deepen your bond with your furry companion while exploring the world’s most beautiful landscapes. Whether you prefer gentle strolls or challenging hikes, the top 10 destinations mentioned above offer a range of dog-friendly trails, ensuring an adventure suitable for every fitness level. Remember to respect local regulations, keep your dog on a leash when required, and always prioritize their safety and well-being. So pack your walking shoes, grab your dog’s leash, and set off on an unforgettable journey together!